CHICKEN POT PIE
Time Pastry - 15 min, Rest - 1 hr, Bake - 55 min
Yield 1 pie
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon milk
1/4 cup boiling water
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup peas
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 cup of cooked chicken
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 on convection setting.
- In stand mixer bowl combine: shortening, salt, milk.
- Add boiling water and whisk until smooth and creamy (looks like white whipped butter).
- Change to paddle attachment and slowly add flour. Mix until it just starts to come together.
- Knead on counter to smooth out (no more than a few kneads).
- Wrap in plastic and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While dough is chilling, prepare filling. Start with melting butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add flour to butter to make roux. Add vegetables and thyme to pan while roux is still blonde. Cook mixture for five minutes on low heat.
- Add the stock and let mixture thicken up slightly. Add chicken and let it thicken more.
- Once mixture is thick, add milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and set aside while rolling out dough.
- Butter inside of a springform generously.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to desired thickness.
- Place in springform and allow for a little overhang in order to attach top .
- Fill inside with filling almost to the top, but do leave room for steam/rise.
- Cut out top portion slightly larger than springform circumference.
- Brush eggwash on bottom overhang and attach top, pinching down slightly.
- Trim edges and brush top with egg wash. Cut a vent hole
- Bake approximately 55 minutes or until golden.