1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package instant yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 ounces butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with water
- Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt, butter, yeast, flour until dough forms
- Knead. Place kneaded dough in an oiled bowl.
- Proof until dough has doubled in size. About 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
- In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel.
- Place the pretzels into the boiling water for 30 to 35 seconds each. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes.