Boston Cream Pie Doughnuts
Yield: 1 dozen
Oil Temperature: 365 F
¾ cups milk
2 ½ tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 package instant yeast
3 tablespoons warm water
1 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoons salt
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting surface
Vegetable oil, for frying
• Heat the milk in a sauce pan . Be careful not to singe.
• Place the shortening in a medium bowl
• Add the warmed milk to the shortening and whisk until melted. Set aside and cool to lukewarm.
• In a large bowl, combine the yeast, water, and shortening mixture.
• Add the eggs, sugar, salt, and half of the flour. Combine the ingredients and mix until well combined.
• Add the remaining flour and mix until dough pulls away from the bowl.
• Turn dough out onto floured surface
• Knead until smooth and elastic.
• Transfer to a well-oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
• On a well-floured surface, gently press out dough to 3/8-inch thick.
• Cut out dough using a 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter or pastry ring.
• Set on floured baking sheet, cover lightly with a tea towel, and let rise for 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven to 365 degrees F. Gently place the doughnuts into the oil.
• Fry until golden brown on both sides
• Transfer to a cooling rack placed in baking pan. Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes prior to glazing.
1 1/2 cups half & half
1/2 of a vanilla bean, scraped
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
• In a heavy saucepan, scald half & half with scraped vanilla bean. Remove from heat.
• In a medium bowl whisk sugar, eggs, egg yolk and flour
• Temper egg mixture with half and half. Whisk a small amount of the hot half & half into the egg mixture to prevent the eggs from cooking.
• Add the tempered eggs into the half & half and whisk.
• Return saucepan to the stovetop.
• On medium heat, SLOWLY bring mixture to a boil
• Remove from heat. Transfer to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
• Refrigerate until set.
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
• Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift icing sugar into a small bowl; set aside.
• Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
• Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk
• Turn off heat, add the confectioners' sugar, and whisk until smooth.