Las Vegas, Nevada
1. There’s estimated to be at least 1,000 people living beneath Vegas in underground tunnels.
2. Frederick W. Smith, the founder and CEO of FedEx, saved his company by gambling in Las Vegas.
He took FedEx’s last $5,000 to Sin City and won $27,000 while gambling on blackjack, paying for the company’s $24,000 fuel bill.
3. According to NASA, the Las Vegas Strip is the brightest place on Earth when looked at from outer space.
4. The Bronze Lion outside of the MGM Grand Hotel weighs 50 tons, making it the largest bronze sculpture in the country.
5. Las Vegas has a “black book,” a list of people who are banned from setting foot in any casino in the city.
© Steve Proehl/Proehl Studios/Corbis