New York City, New York
1. The first pizza restaurant was opened in NYC in 1895 by Gennaro Lombardi.
2. Albert Einstein’s eyeballs are kept in a safe deposit box in NYC.
3. There are fake brownstones in Brooklyn.
The faux buildings have multiple subway-related purposes but use urban camouflage to blend with the environment.
4. There are around 20,000 human corpses under Washington Square Park.
In 1797, the NYC government purchased an old farm to create a potter’s field—a burial ground for the poor, criminals, and victims of epidemics.
5. NYC has the highest population density in the U.S. at over 27,000 people per square mile.
© Marc Dozier/Corbis