San Diego, California
1. San Diego is home to the country's largest wooden structure, the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island.
2. The world’s oldest still working ship, the Star of India, has her home port in San Diego.
She was built in 1863 and has completed 21 circumnavigations.
3. Each year over 200 cruise ships berth in San Diego harbor.
4. San Diego was earlier named "San Miguel" by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the first Portuguese explorer to land here.
It was renamed San Diego by Sebastian Vizcaino, a later Spanish explorer, in honor of his flagship.
5. Hua Mei, the first U.S.-born baby panda in over a decade, lived in San Diego's Zoo with a pair of giant pandas.
She was the first baby panda to be born in the Western Hemisphere since 1990.
© Reed Kaestner/Corbis