1. The annual naked pumpkin run is held every year in October.
“Go as bare as you dare” is the motto.
2. Harbor Island is the largest man-made island in the nation.
According to the 2000 U.S. Census Bureau, it boasts the total permanent population of three persons.
3. Seattle’s Pier 53 is the busiest ferry terminal in the nation.
4. The original nickname of the Space Needle was “The Space Cage.”
The original name of the Sky City restaurant was “Eye of the Needle.”
5. Seattle is a derivative of the Indian name “Sealth.”
Sealth was a chief of the Suquamish tribe at the time the first settlers arrived in 1851.
© Philip James Corwin/CORBIS