Talk Takeaway: Cooking with Tim Love
Tim Love is the chef and owner of numerous Fort Worth area restaurants including The Lonesome Dove Western Bistro, The Woodshed Smokehouse and The Love Shack. He will be appearing this April at The Austin Food and Wine Festival.
For Today's Talk Takeaway, Tim showed us how to make Grilled Skirt Steak with Citrus, Grilled Cauliflower with Mint and Chili Arbol and a Spiked Chocolate Milkshake.
Grilled Skirt Steak with Citrus
4, 8-ounce portions of outside skirt steak
4 ounces peanut oil
Cracked black pepper
2 limes cut in half
- Heat grill on high with lid closed for 30 minutes or light charcoal and let burn to white coals.
- Rub meat with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Season with chili rub.
- Place on hot grill for 3 minutes a side.
- Squeeze a lime half on each steak.
- Remove and rest for 3 minutes.
- Cut against the grain and serve.
Grilled Cauliflower with Mint and Chili Arbol
3 cauliflower heads, cut in half
12 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
12 teaspoons aji amarillo chili
6 teaspoons mint
1 cup oak chips, soaked in water for an hour
1 aluminum pan with 2 cups of water
NOTE: You can smoke the cauliflower a couple of hours ahead of time, and finish on the grill just before serving.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for indirect grilling: Light the charcoal in a chimney starter and let the briquettes burn until the flames subside and a light layer of ash covers the briquettes (about 20 to 25 minutes). Dump the lighted coals into a mound on one side of the grill. Place the water pan next the charcoal on the other side.
- When the coals turn ashen, add 1 cup of soaked oak chips. Set the cauliflower on the grate, over the water pan. Close the lid.
- Smoke the cauliflower between 45 minutes and an hour, until it is fork tender but not at all mushy.
- Remove the cauliflower halves to a cutting board. Slice each one in half, lengthwise, so that you have four thick slices per whole head of cauliflower.
- Place the slices directly over the fire for about 3 minutes per side, until they get lightly charred.
- Remove from the grill to a platter. Sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil, then with salt, mint and aji amarillo chili. Serve.
Spiked Chocolate Milkshake
4 ounces whole vanilla bean ice cream
4 ounces whole milk
2 ounces chocolate ganache
2 ounces vanilla orange liquor
- Purée all ingredients and serve in a frozen martini glass.