Instructions to change your password should arrive in your inbox in a few moments.
Chef Roy Yamaguchi visited "The Talk" for a Talk Takeaway: Cooking segment. He showed the ladies how to make some of his favorite Hawaiian cuisine. Here are the recipes! Learn more about the Hawai’i Food & Wine Festival.
4 3-7 oz. Boneless Black cod fillets, or other oily fish
Ingredients For Marinade:
1 cup mirin
1 cup sake
1 ¼ lb. shiro miso paste
1 ½ lb. sugar
1. Bring all ingredients to a simmer and let cook until a medium caramel color is achieved. Cool.
2. Once cool, place fish in marinade and leave for 24 hours.
3. When ready, sear fish on med-low heat on each side until nicely browned and cooked through in the middle.
Ingredients For Sauce:
4 oz. red bell pepper (finely minced)
4 oz. yellow bell pepper (finely minced)
8 oz. onion (pulverized)
8 oz. daikon (pulverized)
3 cloves garlic (fine minced)
1 oz. ginger (fine minced)
¼ bunch cilantro (fine minced)
1 oz. scallion (fine minced)
4 oz. rice wine vinegar
8 oz. wheat free soy sauce
8 oz. vegetable stock
6 oz. soy bean oil
To taste black pepper
1. Place bell peppers, daikon, onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and scallions into a pan.
2. Heat soy bean oil in another sauté pan until smoking hot (oil should be close to its flash point)
3. Carefully spoon sizzling hot soy bean oil over the bell peppers, daikon, onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro and scallions. Be sure to cook (sizzle) all of the ingredients to draw out the entire flavor from the aromatics.
4. Add hot vegetable stock, Wheat free soy and rice wine vinegar. Adjust flavor with salt, pepper and remove excess soy bean oil. Chill and hold for serving.
Ingredients For Congee:(yields about 3 cups)
1 cup short grain rice
4 ½ cup dashi * (recipe below)
3 thin strips ginger (1 inch in length julienned)
2 tbsp. bottarga (micro-plane)
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. chives minced
Salt to taste
Fill a medium size pot with room temperature water, add the konbu and bring the liquid to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, remove the pot from the heat and add the katsuo-bushi to steep for about 15 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve or cheesecloth.
To prepare the congee :
Place the rice in a food processor and pulverize the rice for a split second till the grains have broken down to about half the original size. Place the rice in a large sauce pot. Pour enough dashi to cover the rice and place the pan over low heat and bring the liquid to a slow simmer. Stir frequently to prevent rice sticking at the bottom of the pan. As the rice soaks up the dashi continue to add more dashi to cover the rice. Continue this process until the rice is soft. Then, add the ginger and chives, season with salt, fish sauce and bottaga. The congee should have a risotto like consistency. Add more dashi for your desired consistency.
Sautéed Baby Vegetables
2 oz. of tiny carrots
1 tsp. of soy bean oil
1 tsp. minced shallots
To taste salt and pepper
Method (Per portion):
Sauté 2 oz. of tiny carrots in 1 tsp. of soy bean oil and 1 tsp. minced shallots. Salt and pepper to taste
Roy’s Classic Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé
(served with ice cream and raspberry sauce)
Ingredients for Soufflé:
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
4 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
12 tbsp. butter
8 oz. semisweet dark chocolate (make sure to use a good quality variety)
In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yolks together. In a saucepan, bring butter to a simmer, then add the chocolate. Mix until the chocolate is smooth and begins to simmer along the edges. Combine this chocolate mixture with the sugar and cornstarch and mix thoroughly. Add eggs and mix at low speed until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate overnight in a bowl.
Preheat oven to 375º. Line 4 metal soufflé rings with parchment paper and coat with non-stick spray. On a baking sheet, place each ring on a square of parchment paper. Fill 2/3 of each ring with the filling. Bake for 28-30 minutes. Remove the baking sheet. While holding each mold with tongs, slide a metal spatula underneath and transfer to a plate. Gently lift the mold off, remove the paper and serve with ice cream.
Ingredients for Raspberry Sauce:
1 pound frozen raspberries
¼ cup sugar
1. Place raspberries, and sugar in a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
2. Puree mixture using a blender then strain to remove all the seeds.
3. Place strained mixture back on stove and bring back to boil.
4. Chill for use.