Posted on Jul 14, 2011 11:30am

After an emotional Tribal Council on night 6, Tanya Vance, 27-year-old social worker from Kingsport, Tennessee, was voted out of the tribe in a 5 -2 vote. Having never acclimated to her harsh surroundings and battling dehydration, Tanya found her time on the island challenging. The Chuay Gahn family struggled with their decision to vote Tanya out of the tribe, but she eventually became the second consecutive Chuay Gahn tribe member to be voted out of SURVIVOR: THAILAND. Upon leaving Tribal Council, Tanya looked back on her time spent on the island: "This has been the opportunity of a lifetime. I am not mad at anyone of you for picking me, and I just love everyone of you."

TanyaThe morning of day 4 started earlier than expected for the Chuay Gahn tribe, as the constant, loud snoring from Clay Jordan, 46-year-old restaurateur from Monroe, Louisiana, awakened them. After the group laughed it off, Helen Glover, 47-year-old Navy swim instructor from Middletown, Rhode Island, explained, "As a tribe, you do sleep in close quarters and it's hard. Clay snores, and I don't know how a guy that's only five foot five has that much sound coming out of his body."

"The boat we have is a piece of crap. It fills with sand, it fills with water, it's extremely heavy. With our water source as far away as it is, it makes the journey to go get water even more frustrating," explained Ghandia Johnson, 33-year-old legal secretary from Denver, Colorado. Jan Gentry and Helen Glover paddled away from shore to refill the water supply.

Helen, thinking she knew where the water source was located, did not want to take the map with them. This proved to be a mistake, as the two women spent the next five hours in search of the water source. Growing frustrated with the situation and with Jan's lack of assistance, Helen vented sarcastically, "It was a nightmare. If had a pistol in my pocket, I would have pulled it out, shot her first, me second."

Meanwhile, back at Chuay Gahn, the mood was playful as the men of the tribe put Clay Jordan's luxury item--a golf club--to good use. They set up a makeshift golf course along the sand and played a few holes. As time wore on, they began to wonder why Jan and Helen hadn't yet returned.

At Sook Jai, building a shelter was still the tribe's priority. "Building the shelter has almost become this tribe's obsession," explained Jake Billinglsey, 64-year-old land broker from McKinney, Texas.

However, Jed Hildebrand, 25-year-old dental student from Dallas, Texas, and Stephanie Dill, 29-year-old firefighter from Fayetteville, Arkansas, had ideas of their own about what was important. They sat on the beach and mocked their tribemates. "Building a shelter seems frivolous to me. It's the fourth day and it's not even done," stated Jed. Stephanie then added, "Jed has been taking care of getting food, and I have been primarily the water. So if you took the two of us out of the equation, I'm not sure how the other six would be."

Tension filled the camp at sunset as Sook Jai gathered to eat the oysters, snails, and crab that they had caught earlier in the day. As a show of solidarity, Robb, Jed and Stephanie declined the others' offer to join them in their feast, and slept on the beach. Shii Ann countered, "There are so few happy moments here. We are fighting against nature, against each other. We all want to have a good time, but before we have a good time, we have to work together as a team."

As the sun searched for cracks in the thick cloud cover, the Sook Jai tribe awoke to a cold, wet morning. Irritated, Shii Ann realized that Jed had slept under the raised hut he had ridiculed the previous day. More importantly, Stephanie had taken ill from sleeping in the cold rain all night. "I think it was very weird that she spent the entire night sleeping in the torrential rain, and it seemed like she was being pig-headed. She is sick," added Ken Stafford, the 30-year-old New York City police officer.

The mood couldn't have been any different on Day 5 for the Chuay Gahn tribe as they gathered around Brian Heidik, 34-year-old used car salesman from Quartz Hill, California. He strummed his guitar as Ted Rogers, Jr. serenaded his fellow tribe members with a song. Apparently, the Chuay Gahn tribe members weren't the only ones interested in the music, as a monkey had climbed down from the cliffs to observe the action.

Continuing to display tribal unity, Chuay Gahn toasted Helen's 20th wedding anniversary. She reflected, "I am thinking about my husband today. It would be nice to be at home, having a candlelight dinner. But we can celebrate when I get back." Realizing Helen's somber mood, the tribe planned a surprise dinner celebration to cheer her up. After they sang "Happy Anniversary" to her, a thankful Helen told them, "Next to spending my anniversary with my husband, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I will remember it for the rest of my life."

The two tribes met host Jeff Probst at the Reward Challenge location, where he explained the rules of Palanquin Slalom. Each tribe would have to pick one person to act as a guide, while the others would be blindfolded. The blindfolded tribe members would have to carry the guide in the Palanquin. The guide would navigate them through a course. Along the way, they would find several stations with a tribal bag hanging from them. First tribe to have completed the course and collect their bags would win. The reward: one lantern, fishing line and hooks, and a 30-meter fishing net.

The race began as Sook Jai chose Penny Ramsey, 27-year-old pharmaceutical sales rep from Plano, Texas, to guide them. Tanya Vance guided Chuay Ghan. Slowly, the two girls guided their blindfolded tribe members along the course. However, once again, youth prevailed as Sook Jai was too fast for the older Chuay Ghan tribe members. Sook Jai won the valuable Reward items and sent the disappointed Chuay Gahn tribe back to camp empty-handed.

Laying low at Chuay GahnDay 6 began as Chuay Gahn found squid that had washed ashore overnight. "That could be breakfast, guys!" Brian suggested. As Helen took control of preparing the squid for breakfast, Clay described his thoughts about her, "Helen: everything is serious, there is no play to her. She kind of has the personality of an encyclopedia. There ain't nothing in there fun to read. You only open when you need information."

After the tribe argued over how long to cook the squid, they ate and nourished themselves for the upcoming Immunity Challenge.

After receiving Tree Mail, both tribes met host Jeff Probst at the next Immunity location, where he explained the rules. Each tribe was given a giant floating Lotus flower puzzle, missing six pieces. The six pieces were tethered and floating at equal distance from the flower. The tribe members would have to swim, one at a time, to a missing piece, unlatch it, then swim back to attach it to their tribe's flower. First tribe to have successfully retrieved all six pieces and place them correctly on their flower would win.

The Challenge began as Jed from Sook Jai raced against Brian from Chuay Gahn. The race was even, with only one puzzle piece left for each tribe. Stephanie Dill, who had taken ill earlier, displayed her strength and redeemed herself as she out-swam Clay Jordan of Chuay Gahn, barely giving Sook Jai another victory. For the second time, Chuay Gahn found themselves going back to Tribal Council.

The Long Wait For Tribal Council
With the Tribal Council vote looming in the distance, the eldest member of the Chuay Gahn tribe, Jan Gentry, apologized for being slow during the Immunity Challenge.

While wading in the shallow waters, Ghandia, Clay and Ted contemplated the upcoming vote. Ghandia struggled with her voting decision: "There is somebody who I want to vote for because she is getting on my nerves, which is Helen. Then there is someone I don't want to vote for, but I think she is ready to go, which is Tanya."

Ultimately, it was Tanya who was voted out of the tribe in a 5-2 vote.