Make Buddy Valastro’s Sweet Corn Cake With Salted Buttercream Icing Recipe
As part of The Talk's Summer Sweet Treats segment, Buddy Valastro shared this scrumptious recipe.
Try this recipe out for yourself at home!
Sweet Corn Cake With Salted Buttercream Icing
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Sweet Corn Sponge Cake Ingredients
2 ½ cups cake flour
¾ cups cornmeal
2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks softened unsalted butter
1 tbs vanilla
8 oz milk
3 oz oil
1 8.25 oz can cream corn
1 15.25 oz can fresh corn or 3 ears of fresh corn cut off the cobb ;
1. Preheat oven to 310 F.
2. Spray baking sheet* with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in mixer with paddle attachment.
4. Add in softened butter while mixer is on and allow to mix until combined completely.
5. Slowly add ½ the milk and all the oil. Turn mixer on medium speed and allow to aerate for 2 minutes.
6. Turn off mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
7. Add eggs, vanilla, remaining milk, and cream corn in 3 additions and allow to incorporate completely on low speed scraping between additions.
8. Add in Sweet corn and mix gently until just combined.
9. This is optional, but for a nice yellow cake add a small amount of yellow food coloring.
10. Place in your baking pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean and the cake springs back when you touch it. The 5” cakes take about 35-40 minutes
*This recipe makes 3-9”, 6-5”, 2-1/2 sheets or 24 large cupcakes
Salted Buttercream Icing Ingredients
6 egg whites
2 ¼ cups sugar
2 lbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs Kosher Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Measure out your egg whites and sugar into a mixing bowl and place over a double boiler.
2. Stir until the sugar dissolves and make sure not to cook the whites at all.
3. Move your mixing bowl onto the mixer with a whisk attachment and mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy and mixture is at room temperature.
4. Turn mixer onto low speed and add butter slowly.
5. Once all butter is added, add salt and vanilla (mixture will look separated) continue to mix until frosting comes together and gets light, fluffy and shiny!
6. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator. If storing in the refrigerator, allow to come to room temperature and re-whip on your mixer until light and fluffy.
Building The Cake
1. Allow cakes to cool completely. You can even chill the cakes in the freezer so they are easier to work with.
2. Layer the cakes with the buttercream in between.
3. Ice the cake with the buttercream and decorate with kettle corn as you please!